
Authorized by Congress in 1833, construction was not begun until
1848. Architect Robert
Mills was hired by the privately funded Washington National Monument Society to design a
great column with a colonnade at its base. It was intended that the colonnade would have
heroic statues of Washington and other revolutionary heroes and founding fathers.
Financial considerations forced the abandonment of the colonnade and statues.
In 1854, members of the controversial Know-Nothing Party gained control of the Washington
National Monument Society. Private contributions, which had only been trickling in, came
to a halt during the Know-Nothing period, effectively forcing construction to halt for
almost 25 years.
In 1876, frustrated that the nation's tribute to George Washington was still incomplete
during the Centennial year, the Grant administration got the Society to donate the project
to the people of the United States, allowing Congress to appropriate public funding for
the Monument's completion. Construction was resumed in 1878 under the auspices of the U.S.
Army Corps of
Engineers.
The exterior of the obelisk was completed in 1884. It was dedicated in 1885 by President
Chester A. Arthur and opened to the public in 1888. Stewardship of the Monument was
transferred to the National Park Service in 1933.
The Washington Monument is 555 feet tall. It has 897 steps which are now closed to the
public except for ranger-led tours. An elevator takes visitors on the 70 second trip up to
the 500 foot landing for magnificent views of the city. A bronze replica of the Jean
Antoine Houdon statue of George Washington adorns the waiting room. The stairwell walls
contain 192 memorial stones honoring Washington, all donated as gifts of the 50 states,
and foreign governments, organizations, cities, and individuals.